|Fiberglass Tub/Shower Specifications
Back to NF 6042 GTW Information Page
Unit Dimensions (Tolerances + or - 1/4")
Door Opening: 54"
- Refer to diagram and chart for dimensions, tolerances and drain location. Specify color by name and number. Where applicable specify right or left hand.
- Units shall be of molded fiberglass reinforced polyester (FRP) with and exposed surface coated by polyester gel-coat, nominal 16 mils thick, with a nominal Barcol hardness nominal 35 (ASTM D 2583).
- Gel-coat shall withstand ultraviolet radiation for 200 hours without significant color change, shall resist damage by water, stains, cigarette burns, common household chemicals and shall withstand 10,000 scrub cycles without wear-through or significant reflection loss, as tested by ANSI Standard, Z124.1 (Standard), and as required by HUD/FHA. Use of Materials Bulletin Number 73 (UM73).
- Units shall meet or exceed the load-bearing requirements of Standard and UM-73 without cracks or crazing and with minimal allowable deflections when installed in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations affixed to each unit:
- Bottom and Rim - 300 lbs. load w/less than 150 mil deflection
- Wall Surrounds - 25 lbs load w/less than 250 mil deflection
Tub Wall - 10 lbs load w/less than 125 mil deflection
- Drain fitting connection - 50 lbs on 2' moment arm
- Units shall also meet or exceed point and area impact resistance requirements
- Standing/Walking surfaces, including step/seat, shall meet slip resistance requirements of the Consumer Safety Specification ASTM F 462, with static friction coefficient no less than 0.04 (HUD/FHA Minimum Property Standards, Care-Type and Elderly housing, Sections 402 - MPS).
- Units shall have a flame spread rating of 75 or less (ASTM E 162) and a smoke density rating of 450 or less (NFPA 258), equivalent to Class B. NFPA Number 101, in accordance with MPS for Care-Type elderly housing.
- Units shall bear manufacturer's name and seal(s) of the Uniform Plumbing Code. An identifying serial number shall appear adjacent to the brand/code identification.
- Units shall have affixed:
- Certification label of the Universal Laboratory, Inc.
- Detailed Care and Maintenance Instructions
- Where ApplicableUnit bottoms shall be fully reinforced, FRP covered and bonded. Sidewall reinforcement for grab bars and shower door shall be FRP covered and bonded.
For Care-Type and elderly housing, specify locations of custom reinforcing of owner-supplied, site installed grab bars to comply with ANSI A117.1 of HUD/FHA MPS.